• November 29Thurs, December 20 Finals Bell Schedule 2,4,6

• November 29Wed, December 19 Finals Bell Schedule Periods 1,3,5

• November 29Spirit Week December 17th-20th: Mon: Merry Monday(wear red+green), Tues: Holiday Socks & Hats, Wed: Ugly Sweater Day, Thurs: Blanket Day (bring your favorite blanket and cozy up!)

Attorney General Fired

Back to Article
Back to Article

Attorney General Fired

Attorney General Jeff Sessions speaks during a news conference to announce a criminal law enforcement action involving China, at the Department of Justice in Washington, Thursday, Nov. 1, 2018. Justice Department and FBI leaders announced criminal charges and an operation to thwart Chinese economic espionage. (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)

Pablo Martinez Monsivais

Pablo Martinez Monsivais

Pablo Martinez Monsivais

Emma Walrath, Headline News Editor

For months President Trump has been complaining and rumors have been swirling about Attorney General Jeff Sessions. Every few weeks there has been a new headline saying Sessions is out, but this time it is real. Wednesday November, 7th President Trump fired him. By order of Trump, Sessions delivered his resignation letter. He is set to be replaced by Matthew Whitaker, Sessions chief of staff.

Having Whitaker as the acting Attorney General raises the question, what is going to happen with the Muller Investigation? Sessions recused himself from overseeing the investigation in March 2017 citing conflict of interest, as he was a key influence in the presidential election, and this is an investigation of Russia’s interference with the election; however, Whitaker has not recused himself. Last year he wrote an op-ed for CNN questioning the scope of the investigation. He said, “This would raise serious concerns that the special counsel’s investigation was a mere witch hunt,” on the idea of him looking into Trump’s family financial records. His views seem to aline perfectly with the President’s on this issue, showing just how loyal he is to the President.

It seems that it is a plausible prediction that Whitaker will call off the Muller investigation, but the Democratic party now holds the majority in the House of Representatives so it may not be that easy.

Emma Walrath, Headline News Editor

Emma Walrath is a junior at Sahuaro High School and the headline news editor for The Paper Cut. She is movie-buff, music lover, and a coffee enthusiast....