Bathroom Business

Bathroom+Business

Kayla Wiggins, Reporter

On August 24, 2016 U.S district judge Reed O’ Connor temporarily blocked Obama’s transgender bathroom policy  The federal department of education says that public schools should allow transgender students to use the bathroom of their choice, no matter their gender identity, even if the gender is different than the gender on their birth certificates. The schools that do not follow that guidance could risk losing the federal funding that they get.

Obama’s policy was temporarily blocked the day before students started school  You may be wondering Why? Well the case presents the difficult issue of balancing the protection of the students’ rights, and also the privacy when using the schools bathrooms, locker rooms, showers, and many other facilities. The judge ordered an injunction that was seen and passed by Texas and tons of other states.  An injunction is a judicial order that restrains a person from beginning or continuing an action threatening or invading the legal right of another.  It challenged Obama’s administration that was explained by title IX – title IX prohibits sex discrimination in schools, colleges, etc. It also includes discrimination that is based on gender i.d.

I spoke with some people about how they felt about using the restroom knowing there is a transgender individual in the restroom with you. “If they are comfortable being in the same place with me, taking care of their business, I am comfortable with that also,” says freshman Samantha Valdez. “I am in the restroom to do what I need to do and get out. I hardly pay attention to who is in the restroom with me,” says senior Giselle Enriquez.