The Newest Athletes at Sahuaro

Avery Miller, Commmunity Builder, Cougart Editor

Spring Sports are here! And along with the excitement of starting our last sporting season of the 2017-2018 school year (and the actual final sports season for the seniors), is the excitement of meeting the newest addition to our teams- the freshmen. These students will be the future of each of the sports teams once the upperclassmen move on to other endeavors. Our incoming freshmen could quite possibly be the once missing and now found pieces needed to win it all. Catch them out representing our school in Softball, Baseball, Track and Field, and girls and boys Tennis. Here is what they said about the upcoming season.

Mati Goerke, Freshman, made the Varsity Softball team and said among the excitement, “I’m looking forward to being able to play the sport I love and be around my friends.”

Freshman Viona Bell also made the JV softball team and spilled, “I’m looking forward to start playing games. I’m even excited to start practicing. More than that, I’m really excited to start making new friends with not just people in my grade, but with upperclassmen as well.”

Both of these girls are looking forward to being a part of the sisterhood that softball creates. They can’t wait to see what the upcoming season has in store.

Dylan Bradford filled a spot on the Varsity Baseball team this year. “I’m excited to start the high school baseball experience and play baseball all 4 years of my high school career.”

Freshman Kamryn Redlin excitingly made the cut for the girl’s Tennis team. “First of all, I am looking forward to seeing how our girls do for State. We have a strong foundation this year.” She still has to find out if she will stay on JV or move up to varsity. “I am looking forward to seeing what team I make this year, and how I will improve in the years to come.”

Adrian Stebbins filled a spot on the boys JV tennis team. “I am looking forward to meeting new people at the meets.” He is a beginner at tennis, but has a positive attitude on his upcoming season and what it has to offer.

Malaysia Sampson is a freshman thrower in track. “I get a lot of help and over time I will get better, and can probably go to college for it.” Her main events are Shot and Discus. She has also been a part of Volleyball and Basketball. “Overall, the team is very welcoming, and so far a bunch of fun!”

Along with the sports in season, the football players are out conditioning and have a big showing on the track season for the season to come.

These newcomers have tons of potential, and a lot of room to grow and improve in the years of sports that lie ahead of them. The freshman class is greatly represented in the spring sports of 2018!