GO! Cougar Wrestling

Everything there is to know about the Sahuaro varsity wrestling season

Our 2023-2024 varsity wrestling team’s roster is comprised of Karlie Schneider, Charles Hoover, Diego Hernandez, Issac Lugo, Christian Marsh, Lillian Vakatawa, Nathan Aledcoa, and Theodore Comer Jr., with Karlie Schneider, Christian Marsh, and Charles Hoover as captain and Jayden Reigner as manager. Our top wrestlers are Karlie Schneider with a win-loss record of 15-10, Christian Marsh (30-10), Charles Hoover (29-14), and Isaac Lugo (20-14).

Of course, all of our varsity team has done phenomenally well this year and will soon be competing at regionals to attend State. This weekend, our girls’ division will be wrestling at their sectional meet at Amphi High School and must place in the top four to attend State. Then on February 10th, our boys will compete at their sectionals at Waldengrove High School and must place in the top six to attend State. “We just want to see them give it all on the mat win or lose,” said assistant coach (and Sahuaro Social Studies teacher), Mr. Rogers.

After our official season ends in late February, freestyle wrestling is available for anyone interested in wrestling. You don’t have to try out to join freestyle. Coach Rogers explains that freestyle is not all about pins like typical competitive wrestling, it’s more about throws, skill, and sharpening our current or potential athletes in a fun, less competitive way. Competing in freestyle is not limited to those joining the team but is a good opportunity to get exposure to a new sport. Last year, one of our own, Karlie Schneider, made team Arizona in freestyle nationals.

August starts the off-season for the official wrestling season. To join the team you do not have to try out, just talk to Head Coach Isaiah or Assistant Coach Rogers if you are interested in joining. Coach Rogers wants kids interested in joining to know that wrestling is “not a political sport like football.” There are no tryouts, and everyone who wants to join can join, but will most likely compete in a wrestle-off in their weight class to be placed on JV or Varsity if there is more than one player in their weight class.

Having a full wrestling team is by far the most important factor. This year, Sahuaro only had a lineup of seven wrestlers – typically a full team is fourteen for varsity and fourteen for JV. “We’re never going to win much as a team until more people start coming out,” Coach Rogers shared. He believes that every wrestler works hard and has the potential to become great as a team, but as the common adage goes, the more the merrier.

Wrestling is different now than it was in past years. Wrestlers are no longer required to weight-cut major pounds. There is a limit set for player safety. Competitors with braces no longer have to wax them, they are now offered an inner mouth guard. Coach Rogers said he’s heard the most complaints about male participants not wanting to wear singlets. There is now an option to wear a compression shirt and short set instead.

Wrestling is a hard sport, and the coaches are very aware of that. It requires you to be pushed to your mental and physical limits along with attending and passing classes. However, it is very rewarding. A quote from Dan Gable that Coach Rogers believes that every wrestler should hear is, “Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.” The coaches want to encourage everyone to join and not give up. Even though wrestling is hard, it’s a very rewarding sport that opens up lots of college opportunities. Let’s support our 2023-2024 varsity team as our senior wrestlers leave, and encourage them to finish out the season as strong as they started. Go Cougars!