• October 4Blood Drive October 16th

• September 22FALL BREAK October 8-12

• September 22Teacher Grading Day October 5

Kanvanaugh: Guilty Or Not He Does Not Belong on The Bench

Emma Walrath, Headline News Editor

Brett Kavanaugh showed us exactly the kind of man and judge he is during the hearing on Thursday. These allegations could be true or they could be complete fiction, but the fact of the matter is that he showed how unfit for the bench he is throughout this process.

His opening statement is something he had time to prepare, something that should not have included how partisan he truly is. “This whole two-week effort has been a calculated and orchestrated political hit, fueled with apparent pent-up anger about President Trump and the 2016 election, fear that has been unfairly stoked about my judicial record,” Kavanaugh said. “Revenge on behalf of the Clintons and millions of dollars in money from outside left-wing opposition groups.” This is not about political parties, he has been saying this isn’t about politics but it clearly is.

Also his tone during the whole questioning and opening statements was extreme, whether it was extremely harsh, extremely disrespectful or extremely emotional. He was all over the place and if he wants to be a judge he should have been able to keep it together. Kavanaugh seemed to have no control over his own emotions which is not what America needs included in the Supreme Court. 

He later brought out his calendar from 1982 and began to almost cry to a calendar. This was just a calendar about lifting weights with Toben and Squi, who are both alive and well. He is a grown man. A grown man who is trying to be on the highest court in America. He is going to be faced with sensitive topics, so he should not be crying at a calendar.

He also dodged questions from senators and spoke over them. He was extremely disrespectful.

He was asked repeatedly if he wanted an FBI investigation and he said multiple times, “I want what the committee wants.” And in his opening statements he almost cried thinking about his name being besmirched, but now he doesn’t want an investigation? And I’m not saying that if he said yes there would be an immediate investigation but he should have nothing to hide.

Even if he didn’t assault Dr. Ford, is this really the person we want the American Supreme Court? He would be weighing on hot topics such as abortion, have the power to keep Congress and the president in checks and other extremely important things in modern America. Brett Kavanaugh is not the man for the job. 

Emma Walrath, Headline News Editor

Emma Walrath is a junior at Sahuaro High School and the headline news editor for The Paper Cut. She is movie-buff, music lover, and a coffee enthusiast. She is on her second year of playing on the Sahuaro golf team. She loves sushi, the band SWMRS, and the movie The Princess Bride.  She also can fall down a YouTube hole for hours at a time. She loves to keep up with current events and is very politically minded. Emma is a feminist and a strong ally for the LGBTQ+ community. Her friends would describe her as someone filled with dark comedy and bravery, because she will order at a restaurant when everyone else is too nervous.