• Last Day of School for Students (5/23)
  • Graduation (5/22)
  • Honors Night (5/14)

Polls

What's the best part of summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Netflix Show Review: One Day (2024)

One Day is a new drama series on Netflix based on the 2009 novel by David Nicholls. There was a 2011 movie rendition that starred Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess, but this new Netflix series has brought about a whole new fanbase for the beloved story of Emma Morley and Dexter Mayhew. Released on February 8th, One Day has been going viral on social media for its stellar acting by lead actors Ambika Mod and Leo Woodall and the rollercoaster of the show’s emotions.

One Day tells the story of best friends Emma and Dexter who first meet at their university graduation on July 15th, 1988. Not long after their initial meeting, they both realize how different they are from each other. On one hand, working-class Emma Morley has strong aspirations to be a writer. On the other hand, Dexter Mayhew is known for being a privileged playboy with no strong sense of direction. Despite having seemingly nothing in common with one another, Dexter and Emma are inexplicably drawn to one another. After spending an unconventional night together, the pair develops a close bond and decides to remain friends. The story revisits Emma and Dexter on the 15th of July every year over the course of 20 years, and with each year we get to see them navigate life through the successes, failures, loves, and losses that life throws their way, all while they maintain their relationship with each other.

I binged the series in the span of two days. Seeing the influx of superb reviews for the show had me immediately intrigued and I watched the show with no prior knowledge of the novel or the 2011 movie. I can confidently say that One Day is one of the best shows I have ever seen. It portrays a realistic depiction of how precious life truly is and conveys that message better than any film or show I’d ever seen. I sobbed throughout the last two episodes of the show and continued sobbing for an hour after I finished the show. It’s one of those shows that leave you feeling empty after watching it.

As Dexter and Emma go through life’s tribulations, you feel as if you are right there with them feeling what they are feeling, and that is a testament to the incredible acting exhibited by Ambika Mod and Leo Woodall. I had never seen either actor’s work prior to One Day, but now I want to watch everything they were ever featured in because that’s how good their acting was. Leo Woodall portrayed many emotional scenes so heavily and realistically that I could feel it in my chest. Ambika Mod depicted several lengthy and emotion-ridden monologues as Emma, and she did so brilliantly and engagingly. It’s very special when somebody’s acting is so good that you forget they’re playing a character, but that is exactly what Leo Woodall and Ambika Mod did and that is what makes this show brilliant.

One Day is such a well-rounded body of work. Accompanying the astounding acting by the cast is a killer soundtrack that always completes a scene and stunning cinematography that immerses you in a visual paradise. One Day is one of the best shows I’ve watched in a very long time and it is one of those shows that I don’t think I will ever quite get over. I absolutely recommend it to everyone, but be careful because it is a tearjerker.