Top 10 Albums of 2023

• Following the criticism that she was ‘too pop’ to be considered a rapper, Doja Cat released Scarlet, her 4th studio album. The central genres of the album are hip-hop and R&B, a notable difference from the pop-driven sounds of her previous albums. The album’s lead single Paint The Town Red became Doja’s first solo #1 on the Billboard Hot 100.

• GUTS is Olivia Rodrigo’s sophomore album, following up on the success of her debut album, SOUR. Featuring elements of rock and soft ballads, GUTS charted all twelve tracks in the top 40 of the Billboard Hot 100, and the hit single Vampire debuted at #1. The album amassed six total nominations at the 66th Annual Grammy Awards and Rodrigo will tour the album in 2024.

• One Thing at a Time is American country music singer Morgan Wallen’s third studio album. The album debuted at #1 on the US Billboard 200 and features 36 tracks. Last Night, a single from the album, became Wallen’s first Billboard Hot 100 number one hit and stayed atop the charts for 16 weeks.

• Released on March 10th, Endless Summer Vacation is the eighth studio album by Miley Cyrus. Featuring Sia and Brandi Carlile, the album was preceded by three singles. The lead single Flowers spent eight weeks atop the Billboard Hot 100 and the album reached #1 in ten countries.

• The Record is boygenius’ debut studio album. Consisting of Phoebe Bridgers, Julien Baker, and Lucy Dacus, the album is categorized as alternative/indie and folk. The Record was awarded a perfect score by Rolling Stone and received seven nominations at the 66th Annual Grammy Awards.

• Released on October 27th, 1989 (Taylor’s Version) is a re-recorded version of Swift’s 2014 album 1989. Although released later in the year, the album broke countless records and charted 8 out of 10 songs on the Billboard Hot 100 in its first week. 1989 (Taylor’s Version) achieved unrivaled success as re-imagined pop hits like Blank Space and Style shot this album to #1.

• Lana Del Rey’s 9th studio album, Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd, has received many positive reviews and coverage for its mature songwriting. The album has many featured artists including Jon Batiste and The Bleachers and has amassed a total of 5 nominations at the 66th Annual Grammy Awards.

• For All the Dogs, released on October 6th, is the eighth studio album by Canadian rapper Drake. There are a number of featured artists on the album, including 21 Savage, J. Cole, SZA, Bad Bunny, and Lil Yachty. For All the Dogs was a commercial success, debuting at #1 on the US Billboard 200 chart.

• Let’s Start Here marks the fifth studio album by American Musician Lil Yachty. The album has a different sound from the trap sound Lil Yachty is generally known for. The album is heavily influenced by psychedelic rock and received good reviews from music critics, debuting at #9 on the US Billboard 200.

• Good Riddance is American singer-songwriter Gracie Abrams’ debut studio album. The album was written by Abrams and Aaron Dessner, who also has producing credits on all songs. The album received generally good reviews from music critics, and Rolling Stone listed it as one of the best albums of 2023.

Billboard via Getty Images