2018 Coaches Vs. Cancer Game

Jocelyn Reeder, Feature Editor

On Tuesday, January 23, 2018 Sahuaro basketball held our 5th annual Coaches Vs Cancer game. Sahuaro played at home vs Salpointe Catholic High School. The American Cancer Society team members came to talk to those who wanted to learn more about what ACS is all about and how the ACS can help.

ACS is a non profit organization that saves lives and celebrates lives. They lead the fight for a world without cancer. Their goal is to hopefully educate people on cancer and how to prevent it. ACS provides services for people diagnosed with cancer,  such as hair wigs, scarfs, hats, and makeup. It is completely free too. The team funds research to find better ways and forms to detect cancer.

NBA colleges hold cancer organizations around the country and the ACS wanted to bring organizations to high schools and teach kids about how cancer can affect any age. Colleges started the suits and sneakers to symbolize that cancer takes a lot of steps. Exercises can play a major role in reducing cancer. Denis Cournoyer, senior Market Manager for the American Cancer Society reported, “We appreciate the generosity of the school and you can find other fun ways to raise money for us at Cancer.org.”

Sahuaro is the only school in Arizona that has  Coaches Vs. Cancer games. Dennis Cournoyer reached out to Sahuaro about 5 years ago and Mr. Botkin agreed to hold the event. The game raised about $600 and that would lead the total of 5 years to $6000. It is something worth while and many kids embrace this event. Mr.Botkin stated, ” It’s always worthy and great to help out a needy cause. The community gets behind it and it makes it even more fun.” The Coaches Vs Cancer game is more than just a high school effort, it is a community effort as well. “The best part is to acknowledge the cancer patients, caregivers, and the cancer survivors at the beginning of the game. Handing over the money at the end is one of the best parts as well.”

Varsity won against Salpointe, 46-32.