Chanel Miller NOT Emily Doe

Odyssey Larsen, Beat Reporter

With the uproar of the gripping #MeToo movement, tens of thousands of women have come out to share the pure disrespect that they have endured over the years. But who started the movement? You may know her as Emily Doe or possibly as “intoxicated, unconscious woman”. But after four years, she wants you to know her name: Chanel Miller.

In her moving and infuriating victim statement, Miller bravely addresses her attacker by directly stating, “My damage was internal, I carry it with me. You took away my worth, my privacy, my energy, my time, my safety, my intimacy, my confidence, my own voice, until today.” By coming out with her name and her memoir, Know My Name, recounting the rape, she has further reclaimed her voice. The conviction in Miller’s voice when speaking about the incident on a 60 Minutes episode was both so powerful and moving. After her victim statement went viral due to the outcome of the sentencing, the invigorating #MeToo movement erupted.

Chanel Miller went to a Stanford frat party with her younger sister who was in town visiting. Miller admits she drank too much; which she didn’t do frequently. But that is in no way an excuse for what 20-year-old Brock Turner would do to unconscious Chanel later that night when he came upon Miller, extremely intoxicated, behind a dumpster somewhere out of sight of the party. This is where he would sexually assault and rape Chanel Miller. Two exchange students from Sweden saw what Turner was doing and tackled him.

The incident would go to trial where Turner would continuously claim he did nothing wrong and his father referred to the rape as “20 minutes of action”. After a full year of deliberation, all twelve of the jurors unanimously agreed that Brock Allen Turner was, in fact, guilty of three counts of sexual assault, which could result in a maximum of 14 years in prison. The judge in the case, sentenced Turner to a six-month sentence with probation, claiming any harsher of a sentence would “severely impact” Brock who was a Stanford swimmer and had dreams of going to the Olympics. After the unjust sentencing, Turner would only serve just 3 months and be released for “good” behavior.

Chanel Miller will live the remainder of her life never quite the same. There will always be a part of her that is forever changed as she states in her memoir. Miller’s story helped thousands of people regain their voice and claim their identity. She gave power back to the victim. Always remember to speak up. Remember her name. Not Emily Doe. Not intoxicated, unconscious woman. Her name is Chanel Miller and she’s a survivor.