Top 10 Movements of The Year

Top 10 Movements of The Year

Dacey Cervantes, Senior Spotlight Editor

• Women’s March- Started in 2017 – this march is for equality for women and has been featured in almost 7 continents, and continues to get more and more support and people joining the march each year. This year, 2019, 200,000 joined in to support equality for women.

• Hong Kong Protests (Anti-Extradition Law Amendment Bill)-These protests were triggered by the introduction of the fugitive offenders amendment bill by the Hong Kong government. If the bill was enacted it would have allowed the expulsion of criminal fugitives who are wanted in territories with which Hong Kong does not currently have extradition agreements, including Taiwan and mainland China.

• Pro-Choice Movement- This sociopolitical movement in the United States supports the view that a woman should have a legal right to an elective abortion, meaning the right to either terminate her pregnancy or not, and as a part of a broad global abortion-rights movement. The abortion-rights movement consists of a varity of organizations, with no single centralized decision-making body.

• Yellow Vests Movement- After an online petition posted in May had attracted nearly one million signatures, mass demonstrations began on November 17. The movement was initially motivated by rising fuel prices and high cost of living. It claims that a disproportionate burden of the government’s tax reforms were falling on the working and middle classes, especially in rural and peri-urban areas

• Climate Change – Tucson Highschool- Students took to the streets of Tucson, Arizona to encourage city leaders to take action on climate change. Daniel Casanova, a UA student and co-leader of the local chapter of the Arizona Youth Climate Strike, which organized the rally commented, “We’re just encouraging people to vote and stay active in climate activism, and we’re also trying to make a statement to push the city of Tucson to not only adopt but also enact a climate action plan similar to what Tempe has adopted already.”

• Latin American Protest- Also called Primavera Latinoamericana is a series of escalating examples of civil disobedience in various countries across Latin America protesting against austerity measures and political corruption in the region, described in several sources as a “wave.” It is a wave of the greater Latin American Spring that has been causing unrest around the region since 2014.

• We The People March-The march was a demonstration in the United States, held on September 21, 2019. The crowd consisted of thousands of protesters including tennis legend Martina Navratilova . They marched down Pennsylvania Avenue from a starting point near the Trump International Hotel and ended at the U.S. capitol.The march was to remind elected officials that they work for the people.

• Zimbabwe Fuel Protest- The protest began on January 14, 2019, following a 130% increase in the price of fuel imposed by the government of Emmerson Mnangagwa. Thousands of Zimbabweans protested against the price increase, along with increasing levels of poverty, the poor state of the economy, and declining standards of living. The government responded with a coordinated crackdown that resulted in hundreds of arrests and multiple deaths.The protests stopped after three days, January 17.

• Extinction Rebellion- The Extinction Rebellion was established in the United Kingdom. This is a global environmental movement with a stated aim using nonviolent civil disobedience to compel government action to avoid tipping points in the climate system, biodiversity loss, and the risk of social and ecological collapse.

• Venezuelan Protest-A series of protests, political demonstrations, and civil insurrection began in Venezuela due to the country’s high levels of urban violence, inflation, and chronic shortages of basic goods and services. Explanations of these worsening conditions vary with analysis in blaming strict price controls and long-term, widespread political corruption resulting in the under-funding of basic government services.