Shinzo Abe Resigns..Again

Caleb Pearce-Huffman, Reporter

The prime minister of Japan, Shizno Abe, was born September 21, 1954. He’s been known for his friendship with our president, Donald Trump, and his success in changing Japan’s trade, defense, and economic policies during his leadership. He became chief cabinet secretary for Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi in 2005, and a year later replaced him as head of the party and prime minister. He resigned in 2007 due to the inflammatory disease known as colitis but has continued to lead in office since then. So why is he resigning now?

Well, Abe’s sickness strikes back… again. The Prime Minister of Japan, announced his resignation on Friday, August 28, 2020. He claims the cause is due to his disease Ulcerative Colitis which causes inflammation of the bowels. Colitis is known to be genetic, however people can be more susceptible when located in the western nations and at higher latitude. It can also be caused by the anti inflammatory pain medication ibuprofen. The disease is long term and has lasted most of his life. “Abe’s condition began when he was in junior high school,” according to reuters.com.

The same disease was present in 2007 when Abe resigned from his first term. There is no cure and the only relief seems to be the time in between  the inflammations. It seems to reside for several years, which explains why he was re-elected in 2012, 2014, and 2017. According to theconversation.com, he is a record setter because he broke the longest lasting run as prime minister. His record was set only 4 days before his resignation. Abe can also be recognized for his Abenomics government economic policies. Shinzo Abe claims he does not believe he should remain in his seat, even though his term only requires one more year, because he “cannot respond to the mandate” of his people “with confidence.”