Top 10 stars we’ve lost in 2020

Alex Herman, Reporter

• Kobe Bean Bryant was a very profound professional basketball player. He spent his 20 -year- long career playing for the Los Angeles Lakers. During his career, he had so many accomplishments including winning two Olympic gold medals, winning five NBA championships, surpassing Michael Jordan to become third on the NBA’s all-time scoring list, and so much more. Sadly, Kobe passed away on January 26, 2020 after being killed in a helicopter crash along with one of his daughters Gianna. He was 41. After his death, Kobe was elected into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. Kobe leaves behind his wife Vanessa Bryant and his three other daughters Natalia, Bianka, and Capri.

• Gerald Isaac Stiller, better known as Jerry Stiller, was the classic comedian, actor, and author. He was best known for being a comedian, but the accomplishments he had as an actor were considerable. During his time as an actor, he appeared on Broadway starring in films like, “The Ritz” and “Hurlyburly.” Jerry was even nominated for an Emmy in 1997 for Outstanding Guest Actor in the Comedy Series ‘Seinfeld’. In the same year, he won an American Comedy Award for Funniest Male Guest Appearance on TV. On May 11, 2020 Jerry passed on due to natural causes at the age of 92. His son, actor, Ben Stiller payed tribute to his late father tweeting, “He was a great dad and grandfather, and the most dedicated husband to Anne for about 62 years. He will be greatly missed.”

• Regis Francis Xavier Philibin, known as Regis Philibin, was a television presenter, talk show host, game show host, actor and singer. He was a man who did it all. He hosted a variety of game shows including, “Live! With Regis and Kelly.” “Who Wants to be a Millionare.” He was inducted into both the Television Academy Hall of Fame and the National Association of Broadcaster Hall of Fame in 2006. He was also nominated for 37 Daytime Emmy Awards throughout his career and even won six. In 2004, Philibin was recognized for banking more than “16,000 hours in front of a TV camera.” Unfortunely, on July 24, 2020, Regis passed away due to a heart attack from coronary artery disease. He was 88 years old.

• Naya Marie Rivera was an actress, singer, and model. She began her early career as a child actress starring on the CBS comedy “The Royal Family.” She later went on to star in bigger films like, “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air”, “Glee’, “Baywatch” and so many more. In 2011, she even took her music career to another level signing as a solo artist with Columbia Records– releasing her first single, “Sorry.” While still rising in fame, her life was cut short on July 8, 2020 after drowning in a boating accident. She was 33 years old. She leaves behind her family including her son Josey.

• Chadwick Aaron Boseman was an Actor. He was known for his portrayals of Jackie Robinson in “42” and James Brown in “Get on Up.” He was also best known for starring in the major hit film, “Black Panther.” He has won 6 awards throughout his career, including the BET award for Best Actor, MTV Movie Award for Best Hero, NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actor in a Motion Picture, and lots more. Sadly, this incredibly talented actor’s life was cut short on August 28,2020. It was a shock to the world but it was annonced that he lost his fight with colon cancer at age 43. His longtime friend/co-star Michael B.Jordan spoke out after Chadwick’s death expressing his loss saying, “I wish we had more time. Everything you’ve given the world…the legends and heroes that you’ve shown us we are…will live on forever.”

• Joan Ruth Bader Ginsburg, known as Ruth Ginsburg or “RBG”, was an associate justice of the Supreme Court of the United States. She was appointed to the Supreme Court in 1993, becoming the second woman ever to serve on the nation’s highest court. She also co-founded the American Civil Liberties Union women’s rights project and became the first female tenured professor at Columbia Law School. Notably, she has argued six gender discrimination cases before the Supreme Court, and even won five of them. Her influence on American politics and modern culture has undoubtedly been an inspiration for women not just in the U.S but throught the world. After years and years of fighting, she lost her battle with pancreatic cancer on September 28, 2020. She was 87.

• Edward Lodewijk Van Halen was a musician and songwriter. He was what I say is “one of rock music’s kings.” He was the main songwriter and guitarist for the rock band Van Halen, co-founded in 1972 by him and his brother Alex Van Halen. He is well known for “popularizing the tapping guitar solo technique, allowing rapid arpeggios to be played with two hands on the fretboard.” Eddie and his band mates had a lot of success with their band whether it was being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, winning their 1992 Grammy Award for Best Hard Rock Performance with Vocals, or being ranked 20th on the RIAA list of best selling artists with 56 million album sales in the U.S. Even after the band, Eddie sure made his own impact putting out a self-titled debut album and being voted in a Guitar World magazine as #1 of “The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time.” Through all of this, Eddie struggled with tongue cancer for YEARS. Sadly the cancer got worse spreading throughout causing him to have a fatal stroke. He was 65.

• George Alexander Trebek, known as Alex Trebek, was a Canadian game show host and television personality. He was the host for the iconic game show “Jeopardy!” for 37 seasons! He also was the host in other televison game shows such as the NBC game show “Wizard of Odds” and the Canadian music show “Music Hop.” During his television career, Alex has won a tremendous amount of awards and achievements. Including, 7 Daytime Emmy Awards for Outstanding Game Show Host, a Guinness World Record for Most Game show Episodes Hosted by the Same Presenter: hosting more than 8,000 Jeopardy episodes, and was named a member of the Broadcasting & Cable Hall of Fame along with him and Jeopardy being inducted into the NAB Broadcasting Hall of Fame. So to say the least, he definitely made an impact! In 2019, Alex announced that he had been diagnosed with stage-four pancreatic cancer and that he was fighting it, but unfortunately on November 8, 2020 he lost his battle. He was 80 years old.

• Richard Wayne Penniman, better known as Little Richard, was a musician, singer, and songwriter. He was among the first 10 artists to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame along with Elvis Presley in 1986. He broke out in the music industry with his major hit “Tutti Frutti” in 1956 and “Good Golly Miss Molly.” In 1951, Little Richard landed his first record deal with RCA after winning a local talent show, but still continued to work at his local bus station. He later went on to release his debut album, “Here’s a Little Richard.” He has made the cover of Rolling Stone, received the Recording Academy’s Lifetime Achievement Award, and was a Grammy Hall of Fame inductee. He passed away at age 87 on May 9, 2020 after battling bone cancer. He leaves behind his Wife, Ernestine and his son Danny.

• Patrick Quinn was an amyotrophic lateral sclerosis activist and was one of the co-creator of the viral ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. The challenge went viral in 2014 where more than “17 million” people poured buckets of ice cold water on their head’s to help raise awareness for ALS, also know as Lou Gehrig’s Disease. Patrick was diagnosed with ALS disease in 2013, just one month after his 30th birthday. With starting this challenge/campaign, he helped generate more than “220 million dollars” for medical research for the disease. His challenge even inspired celebrities to partake in including, George W. Bush, Bill Gates, Lady Gaga, Oprah Winfrey, Justin Bieber, and so many more. Patrick continued his advocacy after the challenge through his foundation “Quinn for the Win” to raise funds and awareness for the disease he was battling. Devastatingly, Patrick Quinn lost his battle with ALS on November 22, 2020 at age 37.