Kim Reynolds Bans Transgender Women From Attending Women’s Sports

Jenifer Urzua, Reporter

It has been confirmed that the Governor of Iowa, Kim Reynolds, has signed a bill into law banning transgender girls from participating in girls’ school sports in Iowa. Thursday, Reynolds signed the bill (HF 2416) as she was surrounded by young women and fellow Republican lawmakers who support the legislation.

High school student Ainsley Erzen had a few words to say, “The message that women are so much more than a hormone level, that the things girls love are worth protecting and their hard work and dedication is recognized and their dreams can become a reality.”

“I don’t think words could ever be enough to describe just how much this bill means to me and all other female athletes in Iowa,” Ainsley Erzen said in an opinion article.

Photo by Kelsey KremerKim Reynolds has made it clear she wants to fight and make sure girls have the ability to compete and qualify for scholarships. She believes it is unfair that women have to compete against someone who was once a man.  “This is a victory for girls’ sports in Iowa. No amount of talent, training, or effort can make up for the natural physical advantages males have over females. It’s simply a reality of human biology. Forcing females to compete against males is the opposite of inclusivity and it’s absolutely unfair,” says Reynolds. 

Reynolds believes it has gotten unfair and argued that women should have the opportunity to earn more scholarships and advantages. This would make Iowa the 11th state to ban transgender women in sports.