Newly Discovered Dinosaur May Have Dived Like a Duck

Neela Luna, Reporter

As technology advances, so does the ability to clear up some of the questions that we have about the past. This particular wonder has its legs and claws and lived 65 years ago. A newly discovered dinosaur-like animal was discovered to have been a diving predator, something similar to a penguin or a duck. A team of scientists discovered it as a Natovenator Polydontus.  Researchers from the Korea-Mongolia International Dinosaur Expedition found the fossils in the Baruungoyot Formation. During the search, 27 people on the team located 196 cataloged specimens. One scientist had said the specimen “was so delicate but beautifully preserved”- Professor Young-Nam Lee

The Natovenator Polydontus had a hollow body with three toes and claws on each limb. Studies also show it had streamlined ribs, similar to a diving bird. Researchers are saying that a theropod (a dinosaur clade that is characterized by hollow bones and three toes and claws on each limb) or any other hollowed dinosaur most of the time tends to use its forearms to find a way through the water. They also tend to dive like ducks to catch their prey. This specific species lived in Mongolia during the Upper Cretaceous period, 145 to 66 million years ago. Evidence is showing that dinosaurs spent just as much time in the water, as they did on land. Scientists hope to open more doors of study for more ideas about dinosaurs and their behavior.