• Last Day of School for Students (5/23)
  • Graduation (5/22)
  • Honors Night (5/14)

Polls

What's the best part of summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Black Student Union Gearing Up for New Year

Black Student Union, otherwise known as BSU, hosted its first meeting on August 30th in the dance room. Over 50 Black students gathered together in unity to invite new members and to inform existing members that BSU was starting back up!

The president of BSU, Masai Rice, is a senior this year and is very passionate about building a community and a safe place for everybody to get connected and be happy, Masai says that it is important to come to school and do well in school but at the same time, it is just as important to have a good time and have a good environment to grow.

Sanaa Comer (secretary of BSU) joined in the second semester of last year. Sanaa stated that she “came to this school because there is way more diversity and BSU is a club for people who look like me, and you, and I wanted to make a difference for people who look like us.” Sanaa says that her favorite part of being at BSU is that “everyone is honestly one big family.” When asked if African American students had fair representation at Sahauro Sanna said, “It could honestly be better, but our club is improving it.”

Last year, the club started as Unified in Color and then Black Student Union was born from there.  This year, club sponsor, Ms. Good, stated that Unified in Color is branching into three clubs: BSU, Latinos Unidos, and Pan-Asian club.   The money that was raised will be divided amongst the clubs.  She served eegees while Masai ran the meeting, and her hope is “that the club provides students with a community outlet where they can celebrate their culture this year.”

Masai discussed his plans for upcoming events this year, connecting people and having fun.  If you would like to join BSU you can talk to any of the officers, Ms. Good in Room 202, or you can add the President of BSU on snap at rice5masai – that way you can get added to the Black Student Union group chat.

Join BSU to get connected!