• Last Day of School for Students (5/23)
  • Graduation (5/22)
  • Honors Night (5/14)

Polls

What's the best part of summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Heart Shaped Fentanyl – Check Your Candy!

Heart Shaped Fentanyl - Check Your Candy!

November 7th, in Massachusetts, it was reported by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Massachusetts that over 220 pounds of pink-shaped medicated pills laced with fentanyl were confiscated by authorities.

There were over 10 million doses obtained by officers, claiming that they went for a total of 8 billion dollars. The US Attorney’s Office identified the three men arrested as Emilio Garcia – 25, Sebastien Bejin – 33, and Deiby Felix – 40.

This much fentanyl is very dangerous, especially when it is in the possession of people who have bad intentions. Since it has the disguise of harmless heart-shaped candies, it has the potential to be fatal if small children come across it. This could be a continuation of Halloween last year when people were finding rainbow-colored fentanyl made to represent Skittles and/or Smarties.

Fentanyl was originally used for cancer and pain in hospitals. The breakout of this drug is very lethal. In 2021, it was reported that fentanyl was being handled illegally by over seventeen thousand people in the U.S. It was also reported that it was sold better because it was a cheap, hardcore drug, and was mixed into other drugs such as heroin, crack cocaine, and Xanax.

Recently, it has been statistically shown that opioid deaths among children have increased in the last 2 decades. In 2005, opioids accounted for 24.1% of substance-related deaths in children, compared to 52.2% in 2018.

Check your candy, and educate yourself and those around you. Stay safe.