• Last Day of School for Students (5/23)
  • Graduation (5/22)
  • Honors Night (5/14)

Polls

What's the best part of summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

U of A Football Welcomes a Familiar Face and Returning Players

On January 10th, head football coach of 17 seasons at Alabama State University, Nick Saban, announced his retirement, starting the domino effect of coach transfers. Former Washington Huskies head coach, Kalen DeBoer, left for Alabama, leaving the head coach spot for Washington open, and Jedd Fisch slithered right in, putting the University of Arizona in search of a new head coach.

On January 16th, the U of A announced its newest head football coach, Brent Brennan. Brennan is the 31st coach in program history, and he is on a 5-year agreement to be the Wildcat’s head coach. This announcement came shortly after the news of former head football coach Jedd Fisch transferring to the University of Washington. Several players including quarterback Demond Williams Jr., a top U of A recruit from an Arizona high school, and running back Jonah Coleman are following Fisch to Washington, and various players were lost to the transfer portal.

Brennan was the former head coach at San Jose State for seven seasons, and he led the team to three bowl games during his time. Brennan has many ties to the University, and he said, “I am so blessed and excited to come back to the University of Arizona. This incredible university is special to my family and I as it’s where I started as a coach as part (of) Coach Tomey’s legacy. I can’t wait to meet the players, families, fans, alumni and supporters and build on the success the players and staff have started. Bear Down and Go Cats!”

He coached under head football coach Dick Tomey, the winningest coach in Arizona history in 2000, and again at San Jose State University from 2005-09.  In 2020, Brennan was a candidate for head coach, before Arizona ultimately chose Jedd Fisch for the position.

Arizona’s program came off a victorious season, with Jedd Fisch coaching the Wildcats to a 10-win season for the first time since 2014. The Wildcats played at the Alamo Bowl on December 28th, winning against the Oklahoma Sooners 38-24. In the last four seasons, Brent Brennan led the Spartans to three bowl games, being the first coach in SJSU history to do so, and was 26-19 in the past 4 seasons.

Brennan’s arrival has been met with positive attitudes, and Dave Heeke, vice president and director of athletics at the U of A, went on to say, “Brent is an exceptional leader with a background of championship success on the field, on the recruiting trail, and as a leader in the community.” President of the University, Dr. Robert C. Robbinns said, “We are (a) proud Wildcat family, and Coach Brennan understands the Bear Down spirit because he has lived it. I look forward to the positive impact he will have on our players, our program, and our fans here in Tucson and nationwide.”

Only a week after Brennan’s hiring, Dave Heeke is out after 7 years. Former softball coach for the Wildcats, Mike Candrea, will take over as Interim AD after Heeke leaves on February 2nd.

An announcement was made on Saturday, January 20th, during halftime at a U of A vs. UCLA basketball game, that Quarterback Noah Fifita, a pivotal player for the Wildcats and Pac-12 Freshman Offensive Player of the Year, and wide receiver Tetairoa McMillan, also a crucial player for the Wildcats, will be staying. When the news of Fisch’s transfer dropped, fans were worried about the possibility of losing these two key players, but it’s safe to say they’re staying loyal to the U of A. Defensive trio Dalton Johnson, Treydan Stukes, and Gunner Maldonado also announced that they would be staying.

Wildcat fans have been kept on their toes as news of the U of A football program continues to roll out, but fans are staying positive, and ready to welcome Brent Brennan.

BEAR DOWN!