The Golf-father of Sahuaro – Coach Lawwill

Rowan Oxley, Editor

On Tuesday, September 23rd, Sahuaro’s golf team had their first match of the season against two other teams at Randolph, the longest golf course in Tucson. Golf Coach Lawwill explains methods of how he used to train his players. With some sports teams, it’s pretty hard to social distance. However, Coach Lawwill believes, “It is easy during golf matches and practice, due to the fact that most of the time everyone stays six feet apart.” He assures the team’s safety by adding, “We also wear masks and follow the district COVID-19 protocol.”

When it comes to experience, Coach Lawwill says this is his 40th year coaching. He has also been head coach of high school football, basketball, baseball, boys tennis, and golf. However, he admits that this year is particularly challenging for him. He goes on to say, “My biggest accomplishment, regardless of what I’m coaching, is watching young people grow into adults and make positive contributions to society.”

Lawwill has taught government, economics, and world history which in terms of grading, have been difficult this year. He says he grades more leniently than he used to because he understands the trouble that comes with the pandemic. He overall misses his students. He admits, “I miss the person-to-person communication that is necessary to properly teach and build relationships with students.” However, he connects with his kids by trying to engage in friendly conversation with his newer students, but his returning students are more familiar with him.

Mr. Lawwill has never considered quarantine to affect him compared to other places in the States. He says that to enjoy the way he passes his time he spends time with his wife, exercises, and enjoys reading some great books.

Golf is scored a bit strangely. There are five Varsity golf players on the team; Austin Miller, Jaden Yee, Jayden Briggs, Austin Dillon, and Michael Hatten. These are the seeded players, from one to five, who compete. “Team competition is based on the average score of each school competing,” says Lawwill. “There can be anywhere from just two to four schools in one match.”