JV Linebacker: Anakin Alexander

Anakin Alexander is a freshman here at Sahuaro High School. He’s also number #19 on our JV football team. His position is both running back and linebacker, but he says he enjoys being a linebacker far more. While he’s only played football for a year beforehand, it’s clear to everyone around him that he’s talented and heavily dedicated to the sport. Over the summer Anakin attended the freshman football camp with some of his teammates to get a head start on the football season, saying, “I wanted to secure my spot and get ahead of the game.”

He prides himself on his close bond with his teammates. “I love all those guys, they’re like my brothers. I think I’ve grown pretty close to them,” Anakin said. Both on and off the field, the JV football players are a close-knit group, spending almost every moment they can together. Anakin thinks highly of his peers and always has positive comments about them. He said, “I think they all work pretty hard, even with the practice being 6 days a week. They still come in every day and are willing to give it their all.” The JV players always have each other’s backs and can even be seen practicing at lunch.

Anakin has plans to play football throughout his high school career and even has a goal to try and get a scholarship to the U of A in his senior year. “I want this to be my job, I want this to be the direction I take my life in.” This wasn’t always the case; he was a dedicated soccer player for 6 years before he got into playing football. His love for the sport formed at the age of 10 when he started watching the NFL games with his family. He states, “I knew it was something I wanted to try as soon as I started watching, but I was nervous to switch up my life like that.”

Among all his fans, Anakin says that his mother is no doubt the biggest. She goes to every game and is heavily involved in his football life. “I try to play like no one’s watching, but it brings me comfort to just know that she’s there.” He gives it his all for his mom, and in return, she has a son to be proud of. He not only gives his all on the field, but he does in the classroom too. He’s a B-average student and works exceptionally hard to keep his grades up for football.  He’s truly an admirable person and isn’t afraid to try as many times as it takes to receive the outcome he desires.