The New Pharmaceuticals Teacher: Nikki Kyles and Her Time at Sahuaro

Mrs. Kyles is Sahuaro High School’s pharmaceuticals teacher who took over the class this semester. Originally from California, she grew up in Texas. After high school, she joined the military and served in two different branches. She initially served in the Navy for 8 years as a Cryptologic Technician, conducting signals intelligence operations in support of finding information using foreign language skills and advanced computer systems. She was stationed in South Korea, Northern California, Virginia, and Hawaii. Then she transferred to the Army in hopes of advancement; she was in the reserve for another 8 years.

Mrs. Kyles got married in South Korea while she was in the Navy. Her husband was deployed twice, around the same time as her. He went a second time, but she didn’t because she wanted to take care of her son; after being away for so she didn’t want to miss any more time with him. Her favorite part about being in the military was all the traveling she got to do. She enjoyed the pride she felt serving for her country. Mrs. Kyles said, “My least favorite part was leaving my small son with my mother while I was deployed. I felt a terrible sense of guilt that both of his parents were gone for a little while.” This was a very hard choice for her to make, but today, with an 18-year-old and another baby on the way, she knows it was the right choice.

She got into pharmacy because she wanted to be in the medical field, but she did not want to be a nurse or a doctor since she does not like dealing with blood. She loves anything that has to do with healing and enjoys learning about the different medications and what they do to the body, both negative and positive. This is why she enjoys pharmaceuticals  – because they still help with healing but in a different way than most medical fields. Pharmacy is a good fit for her because she could still help heal people while avoiding blood. Mrs. Kyles also worked in hospice and helped rehabilitate people but for only a short time.

Mrs. Kyles had always wanted to be a teacher in the pharmaceutical field. Before she started at Sahuaro, she was a college professor at Brookline College where she also taught pharmaceuticals. She loves Sahuaro and the staff, so she plans on staying for a long time. Mrs. Kyles said, ” I like my students very much and they never give me any problems which makes my life much easier.” Since Mrs. Kyles is new to TUSD, she didn’t know how the staff and the kids would behave so she is happy that, so far, they have treated her with so much kindness.