Bowling is Right Up Cameron’s Alley!

A Story About The Best Bowler Under 15 In All Of Arizona!

Cameron Sager, a 14-year-old who was born and raised here, is the greatest bowler I’ve ever met. 

Cameron, or ‘Cam’ as some of his friends call him, is a freshman here at Sahuaro who came from Gridley Middle School. He started bowling recreationally around 5 years ago and joined a league called the Cactus Juniors about a year and a half ago. There are about 75 people in the league – he considers the majority of them to be as close as family. 

During his time in the league, he has won well over 30 awards (too many for him to count), has won two King of the Hill tournaments, and even one Bowler of the Year. Over the summer, he went to Junior Gold Nationals for the third year in a row. Junior Gold Nationals is a tournament for the best junior bowlers within certain age groups across North America. His highest score so far in his career has been 279/300 (which is a really good score if you don’t understand bowling).

Cameron got into bowling through one of his 3 older brothers, Andrew. One day when he was younger, he saw him playing, thought it looked fun, tried it out, and it turned into something! Although his older brother got him hooked on bowling, his parents are bowlers too. They play for Road to Vegas. He currently bowls around twice a week during the school year and has a tournament almost every week during the summer. 

He plans to continue bowling into adulthood and wants to join the Professional Bowlers Association. Cameron is a good bowler because of his mindset. He says, “It’s a mental game, if your mentality isn’t good, you’re not gonna bowl good, it’s as simple as that.” Before he bowls, he thinks about a song and sings it in his head. “That’s all there is to it,” …or so he says. 

Not just precise with his hands, but he is also quick with his feet.  Cameron is also a soccer player and has been playing for about nine years now, going on to his tenth. In eighth grade, he was #17, but he’s hoping for #22 this year. Last year, Gridley’s soccer team made it past the first round of playoffs but unfortunately lost in the second. The boys said it was still a great experience to have. He’s extremely hopeful and determined to make junior varsity this year. He says that he’ll probably play soccer for the rest of high school, but it depends on how this upcoming season goes. He has lots of friends in soccer such as Matthew Cordova, Davis Benham, Jago Gamez-Mendoza, Rylan Tolley, and Ethan Bunch. The best part of soccer for Cameron is, “…teammates, the family aspect of team sports, the bonds we form, always having someone who’s got your back is such a great feeling.” 

Outside of bowling and soccer, he likes to play lots of video games, but his favorite would have to be Rocket League. When he was younger, he was also on a tackle football team called the Scorpions

Cameron has always been an honors student with great grades. He is continuing this streak and says that his extracurriculars such as bowling, soccer, football, and gaming, do not affect his grades. That’s how Cameron rolls!