• Last Day of School for Students (5/23)
  • Graduation (5/22)
  • Honors Night (5/14)

Polls

What's the best part of summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

7 Things to do with your Valentine or Galantine

Getty Images
illustration Valentine’s Day background by paper cut style, Heart balloon flying and scattering little heart in the sky with copy space for Advertising, greetings card, flyers, invitation, posters, brochure, banners, calendar

Valentine’s Day falls on a Wednesday this year, so what can you do with your significant other or friends that week? What can you do at home and where can you go out? Here are 7 things you can do with your Valentine or Galantine(s):

Getty Images

For an evening with your Galantine or Galantines, you can make homemade heart-shaped pizza with all your favorite toppings, watch your favorite movie, or even have a movie marathon. You can do lots of crafts to end the night, like making friendship bracelets or painting canvases or tote bags. It’s a simple, inexpensive gesture that’s easier than trying to book a reservation, and it will be a fun and loving memory for you and your Galantine or Galantines to share.

Getty Images

Valentine or Galantine, a fun thing to do with them is a staycation: plan a whole day to be tourists in your city. Go downtown, get coffee from a café you’ve never been to before, visit a store you’ve never noticed, eat lunch somewhere you’ve just discovered, or go watch the sunset from the mountains. It will be loads of fun to look at your city from a different perspective, taking in just how beautiful Tucson is. It’s fun to take a day to play Dora and explore everything around you with someone you love.

Getty Images

There’s nothing like being in nature for a special day like Valentine’s Day. One way to get out into the great outdoors is to plan a little date to go hiking and have a picnic. Pack sandwiches, drinks, your favorite fruits, and even a little dessert. Making all your favorite snacks for a day of nature-watching is so relaxing. Watching the day go by and having deep conversations with your friends or even significant other can be comforting.

Getty Images

Another idea is an arcade date. For all the teenagers this one can be really fun. To add to it, after playing all the fun games and winning prizes, you can even take it a step further and go bowling before or after the arcade. After you can go get dinner at your favorite restaurant, and watch a movie at home or even the movie theater. It gives you more laughs than you can count and memories to keep forever. 

Getty Images

If you’re looking for something to do that gives you peace of mind and makes you lose track of time, you can visit the Tucson Botanical Gardens. For student tickets, it’s $15, and for adults, it’s $19. The Botanical Gardens has an interesting exhibit just in time for Valentine’s Day. From January 26th – June 30th they have an exhibit called Washed Ashore. This exhibit displays 85 pieces of art made from ocean trash and is committed to combating plastic pollution in the ocean and waterways. There are other parts of the garden that you can visit as well, it’s a perfect date for all nature lovers.

Getty Images

For all the fashionistas looking for something fun for Valentine’s, there’s a Pal-entines Day Fashion Show at Park Place Mall. On February 13th, from 6-8 pm, Park Place Mall on Broadway is partnering with the Humane Society of Southern Arizona to have a runway show in the mall for retailers to show off their new Valentine’s Day attire, with puppies accompanying the models. After the runway show, participating retailers are hosting Pal-entines Day After Parties. The best part about it is…it’s free!

Getty Images

The ancient Greeks told many heart-rending love stories that have been passed down through the ages, and the stories connect to the constellations in the night sky. These timeless tales are written in the stars and explored in the “When You Wish Upon a Star” tour of the star’s Valentine Event at Flandrau Science Center & Planetarium. On February 14, from 6:00 pm to 9:30 pm guests can visit science exhibits, telescope viewing will be available (weather permitting) as well as the opportunity to have your photo taken in the planetarium and other activities. Tickets are $25 per person.

These are all great ways to enjoy Valentine’s Day with your Valentine or Galantine. Just remember, whatever you plan, make the most of it. The gestures from the heart will always mean the most in the long run.