A Hard Farewell to our Band Teacher: Mr. Schmidgall

It is however that with heavy hearts Mr. Schmidgall parts ways with Sahuaro after the end of this school year to teach 5th-8th grade band. Mr. Schmidgall was welcomed by our school in 2022 after many false hopes and substitute teachers. He conducts not just our concert band but also our marching band, which has been the best year for marching band students since before COVID-19. He has been a huge part of our Fine Arts department and Sahuaro staff ever since.

Mr. Hemmo has felt Mr. Schmidgall’s impact in the short years they have worked together. “Mr. Schmidgall is a wonderful teacher who fosters students’ passion for music. We will miss him!” he shared.

Schmidgall wants everyone to know that this decision was not impacted by his students or time at Sahuaro, but rather a decision that was best for his family. Sahuaro was unfortunately unable to keep a full-time band and orchestra position, which has made it hard for our Fine Arts department to keep up with staff.

Hannah Boehme said, “I think it’s really unfortunate that the freshmen won’t have a music teacher next year; he was a really good teacher who helped a lot.” Mr. Schmidgall will be greatly missed by our school for years to come and will always be a part of many students’ wonderful high school memories.