Important Information on Upcoming FAFSA Night

Emma Walrath, Editor in Cheif

FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) opens on October 1st, 2019. This is incredibly important for seniors because, as counselor Mrs. Echols stated, “For them to receive money for college, a trade school or university, they must fill out the FAFSA.  If they don’t apply, they will have no shot to get grants or special scholarships.”

FAFSA Night, an informational event at Sahuaro, will be October 1st starting at 6:00 pm. This event is for students and parents. There will be a presentation given from the MEC (Metropolitan Education Commission) to answer questions about the FAFSA, along with representatives from the University of Arizona and TUSD’s Mexican American Student Services. The presentations should take at least an hour, but filling out the actual application is a lengthy process that could take much longer to complete.

When filling out the FAFSA, students should be prepared with their parents’ financial information, including the parents 2018 tax returns. If a student has divorced parents that both contribute to them financially, they must have the information from both of them. If parents or students have more questions, they can be answered at FASFA Night as presenters will be taking questions.

It is very important to attend FAFSA Night because it is on the day that applications are opening and money provided through information from FAFSA is given first-come, first-serve.