Student Council’s ’20-’21 School Year Plans

Krystal Orehek, Reporter

Rallies, dances, and spirit weeks, oh my! Sahuaro’s Student Council has always been in charge of getting everyone pumped up and planning fun events for us, but how will they manage to keep up school spirit while we’re stuck online?

Ms. Trujillo, sponsor in charge of Student Council, has plans. “This year we’re working on four different things. We’re in the process of planning a virtual welcome back assembly in the next two weeks. We will have teachers give messages, and have sports practice making a little video.” A virtual tour of the Sahuaro campus is also in the works for the incoming freshmen.  These are the most immediate events Student Council will be holding, but they have more up their sleeve!

Four committees are being set up that each have designated jobs. One committee will be handling fundraisers which will be held either virtually, or if possible will be done while social distancing. There will also be a committee that will set up weekly challenges for students to participate in. Examples of what some of these challenges may look like are, “TikTok challenges, cutest dog, etc.” Virtual announcements that are set to take place during second period are also in the mix of things being set up. Lastly, a committee is currently working on setting up a virtual spirit week that will be taking place the week of September 8th.

Once more people are allowed to be back on campus, there are hopes to hold things like, “socially-distant outside activities, team building activities, a drive-in movie, and a trunk-or-treat drive-thru.” 

Elections for the student body have just come to a close and our new Student Body President, Kamryn Redlin, has offered an encouraging message for the school year: “We all know this school year didn’t start the way we wanted it to and still has been kind of a bummer. But Student Council is trying to make the best out of what we got! Look out for upcoming virtual events and contests! And Seniors, we’re not going to let ‘rona’ get in the way of our senior season!”

On September 3rd and 4th, interviews to become a member at large (a member of StuCo) will be hosted by Ms. Trujillo, and they’re in dire need of Freshman and Sophomores! You can contact her to set up an interview at [email protected].

To keep up with Student Council activities you can follow @SahuaroStuCo on Instagram and keep a lookout for the announcements previously mentioned starting up.

Student Council is open to suggestions on what activities Cougars might want to see this school year, so if you have any ideas please feel free to drop them in the comment section!