Sahuaro’s New Pop Of Color

Amber Landon, Reporter

Have you been walking around the campus, noticing colorful art that wasn’t there before? Well, Sahuaro is starting to bring color to the eyes of students by adding murals around the school. Many students contacted art teachers Ms. Kimbley and Mr. Long with the ideas of bringing murals to our school, such as Eden Kimberly, April McElroy, Elizabeth Garza, Jazzmin Scarbrough, Breanna Arvizu, Alyssa Moran, Carolina Oohoa-Lawrence, Rhiannon Archer, Maria Cooperstein and Mr. Long’s classes.

One half of the mural on the 400 building
The second half of the mural on the 400 building

Mr. Long was approached by Mr. Christian to possibly put a CTE mural up around the school. The idea was approved by Principal Estrella and they decided the 400 building would be best. The design came from Mr. Long’s intermediate classes. “Over 80 kids helped design the mural,” Mr. Long explained. They voted on the best drawings for each individual CTE class, and ended up with 10 drawings for the 8 classes. Mr. Long selected a few individuals to go and put the actual drawings on the building, and his intermediate, advanced and AP classes helped to paint it. Sabrina Padilla, senior, stated, “I’m glad I got to be apart of it and getting to leave my mark on Sahuaro will stay with me forever”   They finished it just before the last day of school, and are very proud of themselves. “It also worries me that it will get graffiti. But I’m trying to have more faith in the school.”

Shuri rocking all the new quotes!

For the murals in the 200 girls bathroom,  Mrs. Kimbley got together a whole bunch of girls to help paint them. “We did the girls bathroom in the 200 building, as a women empowerment theme with Shuri, Captain Marvel, and Wonder Woman.”

Wonder Woman in the Bottom 200!

Mrs. Kimbley was approached by some students with the idea of putting a mural up. She had a sign up sheet and hosted it over the summer. The girls came up with an idea and they went to work. These murals took about three days to draw and paint. Thank you to these amazing cougars for adding new colors to our campus!