• October 7Spirit Week: Monday-Jersey Day; Tuesday-TieDye Day; Wednesday-Cowboy vs Alien; Thursday-Disney; Friday-Tourist

A Woman of Science

Alais Alzaga, Reporter

Many Sahuaro students have transferred from Sabino High School, however so has our new Chemistry teacher, Ms. Grasso.  At Sabino, Ms. Grasso taught science and math alongside her husband, who is also a Sabino teacher.  She chuckled and said, “The thing I will miss will probably be that he can’t drive me to school anymore.” She appreciates her time at Sabino High School, but she is really enjoying her new experiences here at Sahuaro,  feeling very welcomed and accepted. She loves how efficient and nice the staff and faculty are, as well as the students.

Ms. Grasso has traveled across the world and lived in multiple countries. Because her dad was in the Air Force, she had the opportunity to savor different cultures. She lived in Great Britain and Guam. She enjoys traveling a lot. She has recently been to: France, Spain, and Italy. While riding in the subway in France, Ms. Grasso and her family were offered a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. On the train, an American family approached her and her family and asked if they like soccer. They answered yes, and to their surprise, they were offered free tickets to watch the United States women’s national soccer team during a FIFA Women’s World Cup match.

Ms. Grasso is excited about passing her love of science on to all her students. She went to college at the University of Florida and received an undergraduate degree in Classics (the study of  literature, history, philosophy, languages and archaeology of the ancient Greek and Roman worlds) and Chemistry, moving on to teaching grade school students science and math. She has been teaching chemistry for seven years, which she likes because to her, chemistry is very logical. She sees it as math with context, and she also enjoys math, having been on the math team in high school and teaching the subject for years. So far she says, “My favorite thing is when my students pass the A.P. test, it’s very rewarding.”