Ms. Engel Hosting Community Service

Amber Landon, Cougar Tales Editor

Melting ice bergs, fires that are killing millions of animals, people on street corners holding up signs saying they are hungry.  Most of us would like to do something about the problems we are hearing about, but either we don’t know how to help or we do’t think we can make a difference. But not band teacher, Hillary Engel. She doesn’t just want to read about the problems, she wants to make a difference.  And Ms. Engel, who recently got married over winter break (congrats Ms. Engel!!), could use the excuse that she’s a newlywed, or that she has her hands full leading the band, but instead she is actively trying to change the world – one kind act at a time.  And she needs your help!

On the first Sunday of every month, at 1 pm, Ms. Engel is planning to host an activity to help our community.  On January 5th, Engel put aside time for students to help make care packages to give to the homeless or shelters around town. The packages included things like a pair of new socks, a water bottle, hydration packs, Kleenex, and packs of gum. She also made bags of dog kibble to give out if you see someone with a dog who could use some help.

“We’re all citizens of this planet and it’s everyone’s responsibility to take care of it, especially those of you who are young and have your whole lives ahead of you,” Ms. Engel says.

On the first Monday of every month, from 3:30-4, Ms. Engel will be available after school in the band room to talk about the climate crisis. She’s going to be able to answer any questions you may have and hold healthy discussions on the matter. She says, “For community service, I generally just want to be a better person and better member of my community and I’d like to lead my students in my actions, not just my words.”

Ms. Engel has noticed recently that she obtains her news from social media outlets, like Reddit or Facebook, more than actual news outlets. This has pushed her to be more aware of her surroundings and wants more people to be aware of things too. Her next community service day is going to be Sunday, February 2nd. She will be helping to clean out part of the Pantano Wash by Udall Park. Hope to see everyone at 1 pm in the band room!