Library in the Quarantine Age

Library in the Quarantine Age

Rowan Oxley

The library is a loving, comfortable place to read, hang out with people, and enjoy literature, but how is the library working without students coming in? Well, Ms. Krieg, Sahuaro’s librarian, explains that she is ensuring the safety of others, whilst handing out the enjoyment of literature to students.
“I have been working with the Library Practice Aides on ways in which we might be able to provide resources to our Sahuaro community,” began Ms. Krieg. “… we are currently working on creating a Library Resource Book. This book will contain everything having to do with the library and a lot more. The resource book will be an online, interactive resource that students, staff, parents, and hopefully friends in the community will turn to when it comes to finding information.” When it comes to bringing the community together through the love of education, Ms. Krieg seems to be working as one of the hardest. “In addition to the resource book, I am hoping to make connections with our elementary and middle feeder schools. We would hope to provide tutoring support at the middle schools, visit virtually to read-a-loud, or create reading buddies at the elementary level.”
Lending out books online is simple when it comes to cleaning because it’s virtual. However, what about physical books?
Ms. Krieg has got it! She mentions keeping them clean in an organized way. “The district has provided all the librarians with a plan for handling library books at each level of personal contact. Materials that have been handled are cleaned and quarantined for 4 days before shelving or lending. We are limiting lending to 1 book plus additional materials as needed for classwork.” Giving the ensured safety of reading for students who miss the physical books.
Although Sahuaro hasn’t started lending books out yet, Ms. Krieg says that she has a plan for it soon. “I am hoping to get the go-ahead to start a Grab-n-Go service for students to check out books. Once we are given the green light, students will be able to ‘reserve’ a book, I will check it out to the student and provide curbside pick-up and drop-off at a designated time one day a week.” I hope it will be successful!