Fresh Face: Mia Laszakovits

Caleb Pearce-Huffman, Reporter

I had the opportunity to learn about Mia Laszakovits, a freshman at Sahuaro High School. I put together some questions I thought would collect interesting responses. Here’s how it went.

How’d you find yourself in Student Council?

“I was in Student Council my 7th and 8th grade year, so I thought it would be fun to try it out this year!”

What middle school did you go to, and how was their Student Council different from ours?

“I went to Gridley. It’s very different. They run things where you have one president for all grades, and you are only in 1 committee instead of 3 like it is here.”

How did you expect high school to be?

“I didn’t really expect high school to be easy, and so far I can say it’s not. It’s not expected to be easy, and going in to a new school is hard. But online is making it much more difficult, to try and make sure all assignments are turned in on time, everything is working correctly, and the way it should be.”

How is Sahuaro comparing to your expectations?

“My sister also went to Sahuaro, and she had some not-so-good experiences with teachers. I didn’t set my expectations too high, but so far I am impressed by all of my teachers and the way that they are handling this situation. They are doing the best they can, so we should all be putting in the same effort, even if it’s hard or confusing.”

Is there anything, so far, that you’d change about your high school education?

“The only thing that I would like to change is the online aspect. I would love to be back in-person instead of online learning, because for me, personally it’s easier to learn when the teacher is in front of me, helping me on a piece of paper, instead of going through a zoom and working on a computer.”

How did you prepare yourself for this school year?

“Because everything had changed to online, I didn’t get to do the traditional things, like back-to-school shopping which kinda sucks. That’s not the main thing, it’s also been hard because we had to get a new router, so our family of 4 could all be online and have minimal problems.”

What will you do to stand out at Sahuaro?

“I don’t blend in. I don’t like being like everyone else, I don’t like dressing the same, and looking the same as people. I am also trying sports that I wouldn’t have tried on my own, and it’s been really fun so far.” 

If you could transform into any object, what would it be? Why?

Mia answered this one in between school and golf.

“If I could change, I would be a mirror because I would get to see tons of beautiful people and let them see how beautiful they are.”

Aww, how sweet!

What about your dream car?

“I’m not super into cars, but probably some type of truck.”

What is your dream job?

“To become a physical therapist.”

What’s your favorite animal? If you could become your animal, would you?

“A sea turtle. No I personally wouldn’t, they have very little chance of survival because of all the predators.”

Thank you Mia for your time, and I hope that you enjoy your education at Sahuaro.