Empowering Black Women

Kalia Davis, Contributor

Why are young Black women’s graduation statistics still below 80%, while the statistics of white women is almost 90%. Why is that? Today we tend to focus on the hate and the oppression of Black women. Black women are a double minority; they have struggled greatly. I think we should start empowering Black women and instruct Black girls from the beginning to love themselves and not focus so much on the hate and the struggle. Young Black women should be taught from an early age about the beautiful and successful Black women in this world that have climbed to the top against all odds. Teach them to love every shade of their beautiful Black skin. Young Black women should be taught to understand their importance and impact on this world. Why do more white women still have higher graduation statistics than Black women? It is flustering. 

Many of the reasons why more Black women do not graduate can be due to home situations. Due to not having someone to advocate for them, most of these white women do not have that issue. It is not an excuse, but it is solely the truth. All students deserve access to a standard education despite their race. There is so much hate in the world and these rates are due to systematic racism and biased stereotypes. Young Black girls who do not have someone to tell them they are beautiful and who can tell them they can do anything despite the statistics and stereotypes. They NEED an advocate. Black girls supporting Black girls. They are just recently coming out with scholarships and advantages for Black women. That was not always there. Young Black women need to be taught and not just thrown aside. We have a black vice president! We need more young Black women to stand up and grasp that opportunity and say, “Screw the statistics!” 

Amanda Gorman, an African American poet AND activist, shared a beautiful poem at President Biden’s inauguration called, The Hill We Climb. She is America’s first national youth poet at only age 22! She says that she will become president one day, and I believe her! Amanda Gorman knows the importance of change and taking action in our society. This is the type of energy we need to see in more of our young Black females! What about Oprah Winfrey, the richest Black female in the world! Ms. Oprah Winfrey has fought against a number of odds. That did not stop her from making it to the very top. She was born and raised by a single teenage mother and lived in poverty. She was molested at a youthful age and became pregnant at the age of 14. Somehow, she still made it to the top and is now one of the most successful WOMEN alive. Viola Davis, Regina King, Rihanna, Jada Pinkett Smith, Rosa Parks, Shonda Rhimes and Kamala Harris. I CAN GO ON! These successful Black women made it to the top, self-made. Us Black women are beating the odds. Let us encourage young Black women to have big dreams. Let us uplift young Black girls at an early age to love themselves. Whether they are dark, or light skinned, and to love EVERY shade of humanity. Let us be the change we want to see in this ugly world. Teach one another, help one another, and when someone tells you that you can’t… DO! We need to stop inflicting on the hate in this world and start jumping at the opportunity to be BETTER. Let’s move up…