Joseph Moreno’s Internship at The U of A

Joseph Morenos Internship at The U of A

Natalya Larez, Cougar Tales Editor

Joseph Moreno, senior, manages to keep his grades up while also playing for the Sahuaro Football team. He plans on going to the University of Arizona once he graduates and has already been admitted to the Honors College. Over the summer, he was accepted to an internship at the University of Arizona, which was a life-changing experience for him. He thought it was fun, however, it was a lot of work, and the internship lasted an average of 40 hours a week. He described it as a good experience and would do it again given the chance. The most interesting thing to him was when he was working on the research poster, all about high-powered lasers. He had the opportunity to work with lasers daily and would describe it as being a bit risky, but it was overall an amazing chance.

There wasn’t anything he didn’t like about it, however, he would try to include more public schools. To apply, you must be older than 16, but younger than 19. This program is set up for high school students and encourages each student to succeed in everything they’re doing. “Coming from a low-fund public school, we tend to feel like we’re not ready for success, but if you apply yourself you can achieve anything you want, as long as you have a good group of people who believe in you. You can do anything.”

Joseph always envisioned himself going to college, and staying close to home is simply a plus. For his courses, he wants to study aerospace engineering and work at NASA or Raytheon as a career later on in life. It always enticed him because ever since he was little, he’s loved building different things, and he has always been interested in space.

What sparked his interest was the fact that he knows he was going to college there, and he wanted to ensure he was ready for what he needed to do. He wanted to fully understand college life, and get the college experience of classes and what his workload might be.

He also said, “Take advantage of the opportunities given to you. They may seem cliche, but they can easily change the course of your life for the best.”  Joseph keeps busy by also enjoying powerlifting, reading, and football.

To sign up, he went to the U of A website for an internship,  filled out the application, and happened to get accepted.

Click on the above link and apply if you’re interested. There are several different opportunities for internships, it all depends on what you’re interested in. Good luck Cougars!