Upcoming Theater Events This Semester

Marisa Linke, Reporter

The ’22-23′ school year is going to be jam-packed full of theater events ranging from all sorts of things: from spirits in purgatory, to gothic babes and their hunchbacked husbands. This semester alone, Sahuaro’s theater department has multiple shows planned for the months ahead.

This October, the advanced theater will be proud to present Tracks: a one-act show they will be competing with at the Arizona Thespian Festival in November. It’s going to be the second play to utilize live music and sound effects since last year’s Our Town. The play follows ten individuals who find themselves confined in an abandoned subway station. These people of many different backgrounds help each other come to terms with their faults and heal in unexpected manners.

Following Tracks will be the Halloween Carnival, formerly known as the Trunk or Treat. The theater department joins forces to set up games, food, and decorations for your pleasure inside the little theater. It’ll be held on the 26th of October, costumes welcome.

In November, the intermediate theater will be presenting their children’s show in the little theater, an annual event that includes outlandish characters and wacky scenarios. A Seussified Christmas Carol is sure to bring laughs to its audience of all ages.

At the beginning of December, the advanced theater will be presenting Twisted Tales, a riotous take on classic horror stories. From the bloodcurdling Dracula to the thrilling Jekyll and Hyde, this full-length show will be a hit with teens and adults alike. There may even be a new Mistress of the Dark in town; watch out, Elvira!

Canceled due to COVID-19, the Fine Arts Assembly will be making its comeback on the 9th of December. Between the lovely recitals performed by our music classes (choir, guitar, band, and orchestra), the advanced theater will be performing holiday-themed skits.

Immediately following the day of the assembly will be the Winter Showcase, where every theater class, from beginning to advanced, will be giving it their all. Beginning classes will be performing their own original monologue, and the intermediate and advanced classes will be performing even more holiday skits. This showcase will be the closing act for this semester’s whirlpool of shows and events, running from December 12th to the 13th.

We hope to see you there!