This Isn’t Goodbye, It’s See Ya Later

As graduation approaches closer and closer, saying our goodbyes is becoming more common. Saying farewell to my Paper Cut Team is the hardest of them all.

I have been with The Paper Cut for 3 years and have had nothing but a positive experience. I started out as a reporter in my sophomore year and I quickly worked my way up. At the end of sophomore year, I had been told that I was going to have an Editor role my junior year. Going into Junior year, I was so excited to have this leadership opportunity. Halfway through Junior year, I received the position of Editor-In-Chief and I was beyond excited. It felt like all my hard work had paid off and gave me confidence in my writing. Now, as Senior Editor-In-Chief, my work here is just about done.

Throughout my time with the newspaper, I have worked on numerous projects, my favorite one being this year’s Senior Superlatives. It was a great experience getting to work alongside my Senior Class and interact with some that I have never had a conversation with before. This project took a lot of time to prepare and construct, but in the end, every second has been worth it.

Being with The Paper Cut for 3 years means that I have written a good chunk of articles in that time. There are numerous articles that I am proud of, but one that is near and dear to my heart is the article that I co-wrote with my Associate Editor-in-Chief, Marley Gandee, about a great loss our Sahuaro community suffered at the beginning of this school year.  Remembering His Kind Heart: Adam Boehme was by far the hardest article I have ever had to construct. Finding the right words to say to honor Adam and showing emotion through my writing was a big challenge for me. Although it was a difficult piece to write, the article has a special place with me.

The Paper Cut classroom has a mix of different kinds of students. We are in different grades, have different interests, and have different goals and motivations. I love all of my Paper Cut kids, but there are a select few who have stood out to me this year and have impacted me in numerous ways. Sophomores Marley Gandee and James Force have become my little siblings this year and words can’t express how much love I have for these two. Whether I was happy, upset, smiling, or crying, these 2 have always been by my side and did everything in their power to keep me in an upbeat mood. There was always bickering here and there, but that’s what all siblings do right? To my little sophomores, you are going to go so far! You two are both becoming incredible writers and editors and I see improvement within you guys every single day. I am beyond blessed to have formed a relationship with you two and I will miss seeing your faces every day. The Paper Cut is in your hands now and I have high expectations of you guys because I know you can do it. Take care of Ms. Lange for me. I love you two so so much.

During my time in Room 207, I have smiled, cried, and learned countless amount of lessons. Not just lessons about how to become a better editor, but lessons about life and growing up. The person I have to thank most for where I am at in my writing career today is Ms. Lange. Getting to form a relationship with her has created growth for me as a person and a writer. At first, I was intimidated by Ms. Lange, but over time grew to know and love her sweet soul. To my school mom, I love you so so much. Thank you for always being someone I can rely on and always pushing me to be better. Thank you for stepping in and helping me get through each day when life was too tough to handle alone. To the person who has impacted me the most throughout my high school experience, thank you. I am going to miss your laugh and your sarcasm, but you have prepared me for this next chapter called college. I love you Ms. Lange.

The Paper Cut has a special place in my heart and it always will. This isn’t goodbye, it is see you later.