A Beautiful New Addition to Sahuaro’s Campus

Sahuaro students may have noticed something new and shiny.  Last year’s StuCo seniors designed and purchased a Cougar mural to be installed on the wall near the dance room by Ben’s Bells.  Constructed of various shards of tile and mirror, with a beautiful sunset background and a cougar in the middle to represent Sahuaro, Ms. Trujillo explains, “The sunset represents Tucson, but the cougar is the main symbol.  It took about two days for students and workers to complete it, and the official unveiling could be viewed by students and staff on Monday, November 7th.

Some students volunteered to help perfect the mural and each group had about seven or eight students helping. Mia Payette, one of the students who helped make it said, “We were taught how to put the tiles onto the wall, and then some of us would pipe the glue mixture onto the tiles while others would pick the pieces and put them on the wall.” She also explained one student broke the tile pieces so it could get that aesthetic they were going for. Mia helped from 9:30 to about 11:30 and she mostly placed the tile, but also glued for some time.

Why did Sahuaro decide to add a mural in the middle of the school year? “The idea was to just make the school look better and to just make the aesthetic nicer, to just make it a prettier place,” Ms Trujillo described. Not only did it make our school prettier, but it’s also a beautiful piece of art. “Our seniors last year, they all submitted different designs and then we voted on the one we liked the best.” It’s a beautiful and meaningful art piece to honor the class of 2023’s journey and achievements. The addition of the mural at Sahuaro was a collaborative effort, showcasing the creativity of the seniors of ’23, and also students coming together to complete it. This mural represents not only students’ artistic talents but also their collective teamwork. The colors and stories on the wall show the memories and achievements Sahuaro has accomplished.