Hurricane Relief Club

Ms Trujillo & Mr. Hoogendoorn posing for their Paper Cut debut

Jordan Myers, Associate Editor-in-Chief

After catastrophic damage was dealt by Hurricane Dorian, a category 5 hurricane that hovered over the Bahamian Islands and Florida for days, two Sahuaro teachers, Ms. Trujillo and Mr. Hoogendoorn, formed a Hurricane Relief Club.

“The club will fund-raise for disaster relief companies and charities who are already on the ground working to repair damages and help people in need after being slammed by the monster hurricane. We hope to help as much as we can at this time,” Hoogendoorn, who lived and taught in the Bahamas for twenty-two years, stated.

The first fundraiser for the club will be selling Eegees on Tuesdays and Thursdays, both lunches for $1.

Just one of many Haitians lament their home country’s destruction

The second fundraiser in an attempt to raise money for the cause will include shoeboxes being distributed among classrooms. The class that raises the most money gets to try the Bahamian delicacy, guava duff – spongy, soft slices of guava-spiraled dough, served warm with sweet butter rum sauce.

“The Bahamas have a strict building code due to their likeliness of being hit by hurricanes so most buildings are built to withstand winds of 140mph. But when the hurricane hit land in Abaco Islands at over 180mph winds and a storm surge, concrete buildings close to shore reinforced by rebar were crumbled and had fallen over.”

Hurricane Relief Club is being spearheaded by Ms. Trujillo and Mr. Hoogendoorn, but also Student Council since Trujillo is the STUCO sponsor.

“I taught in The Bahamas for 22 years and actually spoke with one of the survivors, officer Terry Bari of the Bahamas Police Force stationed in Freeport, Grand Bahama. He told me that this is the worst hurricane they have had in Bahamian history. ‘Areas that weren’t supposed to flood that have never flooded in the past with weaker hurricanes did, so certain areas that should have been evacuated weren’t,” Officer Bari told him.

Please show your support for the club and make sure to donate as much as you can to the cause to help the less fortunate in their time of struggle. Thank you.