10 Things That Make Me Smile

• 1) My dog. I may be biased, but my dog is the cutest dog ever! Her face is adorable, and her “eyebrows” are my favorite feature of hers. She has the sassiest personality, but I can never stay mad at her for long. We got her for my sister’s birthday, about 10 years ago, but she’s a family dog and favors my parents because they don’t spoil her as much. So when she gets their attention, she relishes it. It makes me sad to think that she won’t be here forever, but chihuahuas are immortal, so I’m loving her while I can!

• 2) Pink. I’ve had a lot of favorite colors over the years, but pink has been my most recent, and one of the longest-lasting. I love colors in general, and I usually choose something colorful over the black-and-white option, but if it comes in pink, that’s what I’ll choose. The first time I ever dyed my hair, I chose pink. My room is mainly pink, and all my school supplies are pink! I always make sure to celebrate National Pink Day! (June 23)

• 3) Jewelry. There is nothing better than finding the perfect accessory for your outfit. I have a nice jewelry collection that ranges from dainty silver or gold to colorful chunky beaded pieces. I don’t have a set style, so I try to collect pieces that match everything, or that I just like. I also make some of my jewelry, because if I can’t find the perfect piece, I can just make it! Earrings are my favorite, but bracelets and necklaces come close. My dad has gotten me a lot of nice pieces over the years, but if I had to pick one piece to wear for the rest of my life, it would be my small silver hoops. Those hoops are my signature jewelry piece, and I’ve been wearing them since 6th grade.

• 4) Reading. In 2023, I read 35 books, and my love of reading has only grown over the years. I got back into reading during quarantine after searching for hobbies to keep me busy and something to do before I go to bed in hopes of helping my sleeping schedule. This quickly backfired as I would stay up all night reading, and I still often do. My favorite book of all time is The Hunger Games, and I reread it each year. My goal for 2024 is to read 40 books. Some books can be a gamble, but I enjoy almost all the books I read, even if I rate it low. During my sophomore year, I joined Sahuaro’s book club. My favorite part of reading isn’t just the stories I get to experience, but the community that comes with it.

• 5) Journaling. I have an abundance of journals all for different purposes. I have a bullet journal where I set up a planner, trackers to help me keep track of my goals, and other miscellaneous prompts that keep me organized. I also have a “junk” journal that is more artistic. I’m not the best artist, so this kind of journal gives me an outlet to draw and make scrapbook pages based on lyrics, pictures, holidays, and more. This year I’ve started a book journal to help me keep track of my reading goals, and what I think of each book. I’ve tried digital planners and journals, but at the end of the day, I always go back to a physical journal because it’s what works for me, and it’s the most customizable.

• 6) Taking Pictures. I haven’t had a camera for long, and I’m still learning the settings, but even using my phone, I love to take photos! I have fun testing out the settings, learning about different ways to edit pictures, and trying out different angles. I like to take photos to remember where I was at that exact moment in time. I have over 9,000 photos on my phone, and while I’m running out of space, that won’t stop me from taking 9,000 more! My main subjects are friends and family, animals, and anything I find pretty. I don’t see photography becoming my main hobby or job, but it’s a good skill to have as a journalist, and I want to get better at it.

• 7) Writing. Writing comes in many different forms for me. I write in journals, for English class, and in journalism. Each different form of writing is important to me, and I find different ways to express myself through writing. While I don’t mind writing an essay or writing my thoughts down in my journal, my favorite form of writing is journalism, obviously. Writing articles is my favorite part of school, and I couldn’t imagine what else I would be doing with my life. The Paper Cut has given me a place to share my thoughts and write about things I’m passionate about. The Paper Cut team are also some of the nicest people I’ve ever met, and I wouldn’t want to spend my first period anywhere else. Ms. Lange’s quirky comments and crazy news stories put everyone in a good mood, and no matter how upset I am coming to school, I come out of first period having a good day.

• 8) Band. I’ve been in band since 5th grade, and I feel like it’s always been a part of me. I love playing the drums and other percussion instruments because they’re so much fun, and as a very quiet person, I get to be LOUD! Band has also given me some of my best friends and I can’t imagine my life without them. Being a part of marching band is so special and important to me that I could write a book on all my experiences and thoughts, so I’ll keep it short by saying that being in Sahuaro’s marching band hasn’t been easy, but it’s one of the most amazing and rewarding things I’ve ever done. In every life, I’d choose to be in band.

• 9) Hot Chocolate. I used to be a hot chocolate hater, but in 2020 I made it with milk instead of water for the first time, and my life changed. There was a point in my life where I had a cup almost every day. Quarantine made me hot chocolate crazy, but during a time when everything was sad and unpredictable, I knew I could look forward to my nightly hot cocoa. I started to get creative outside of the usual whipped cream and marshmallows by adding different syrups, different flavored creamers, and almost any little fixing I could find in my pantry. My mug collection has grown since then, and I love to dress up my hot chocolate based on my mood. I don’t like tea or coffee, so when going out, hot chocolate is my go-to order. Even during the summer, I’ll drink it. It’s always hot chocolate season for me.

• 10) Being Out and About. As happy as my room and my house makes me feel, I’d much rather be out doing something fun and having new experiences. I’m always looking around for things to do in Arizona, and whenever I find something, I show my parents. I don’t always have to be out doing something adventurous, because I enjoy something as simple as walking around a store or going to the park. Being out with my friends is the best, and we always try to plan things to do. One of my love languages is quality time, and I think money spent on doing an activity or traveling, especially with someone, is money well spent!