Getting Fit With Mr. Click

Mr. Click is one of our school’s weightlifting teachers and one of several PE teachers.  He said becoming a teacher, “…was a natural transition for me.”  Mr. Click was always driven to become an educator; he began wanting to teach math. He started his path by attending U of A. However, he veered off of this path when he became uncertain about his ability to handle children. After taking a break, he graduated in 2008 and began on his path to becoming a teacher again. After struggling to find a job, he claimed the position of being a substitute. He eventually got his master’s degree in communications and began teaching as a math teacher at Sabino, as he originally desired.

Click was born and raised here in Tucson and attended Sabino during his high school years. When he was younger, Mr. Click enjoyed sports. He took two years of P.E. classes in middle school, and at Sabino High School, he decided to take four more years.

Once he was given the opportunity, he moved from teaching at Sabino to teaching at Sahuaro. This is now his 14th year of teaching at Sahuaro. His favorite class is 4th period, due to the selection of kids. He says his favorite part about teaching here is that “… every day is different.” He went on to explain that “…working here is not your typical behind-the-desk job.” He says the only thing he’d change about his classes is having better equipment for the students.  He describes weightlifting classes as a helpful tool for understanding gyms and something you can do for many years. Mr. Click has plenty of advice for anyone who wants to take weightlifting classes in the future. He says to get rid of the stigma that you will get results immediately and to not be so influenced by social media or magazines.

Mr. Click would say a teaching memory that has always stayed with him was when a freshman student of his, lost his father. Hearing this, Mr. Click made sure to support him as his teacher through all four years he had his class. Only having his mother, the student saw Mr. Click as the only positive male role model in his life, which he thanked him for.

If he had to choose between Sabino or Sahuaro, as in where he liked working at more, he would choose Sahuaro. Mr. Click says that it’s because he’s had more years here, and the students are much different at Sabino than at Sahuaro. He also says that interactions with parents at Sabino rubbed him the wrong way. He did, however, enjoy coaching volleyball at Sabino for 2 1/2 years.

He is a fan of both football and basketball, though for different reasons. He prefers college basketball and professional football. His favorite basketball team is the Lakers, and his favorite football team is the Minnesota Vikings. Although he enjoys watching the World Cup with friends, his least favorite sport would still have to be soccer, mainly because he doesn’t know too much about it compared to his favorites.

Mr. Click has a wife, a 19-year-old stepdaughter, and 3 little boys, ages 5, 7, and 9 . Just like him, his kids are sports fans too. They are all currently on a swim team. He is a great teacher who is very friendly and caring towards his students. If you’re thinking of taking weightlifting, definitely join the class! It’s a welcoming environment for all skill levels.  Ranging from beginners to professionals, it can be a lifelong support to your health.